Saturday, April 23, 2011

Masters in Nursing

I have decided to pursue a Masters in Nursing because I would like to contribute to the field of nursing as a Nurse Educator. I believe that I have valuable and varied experiences in nursing, along with teaching experience. I want to add to my knowledge base, and then give back to the nursing profession by teaching future nursing students.

I feel drawn back to the field of nursing because of the values that are inherent to nursing. I also see myself as a life-long learner, and I believe that my roots are in the field of nursing. I have reflected often on why I chose nursing as a major when I was in high school, and what comes back to me is the opportunity to help people during a crisis, or life-changing event.

I would also like to unite my passion for teaching with my passion for nursing. Teaching English for the past three years has been challenging and rewarding on many levels. Teaching requires versatility, as discussions in the classroom often elicit student interaction that is spontaneous. My interactions with many people in my career as a nurse has helped me to be flexible and understanding with people, which has helped me to be a better teacher.
Nursing is an area that encompasses all of the pivotal life experiences, and the care given by nurses can have such lasting effects on people, families and society. I would like to be part of this ever-expanding circle of caring, and teach future nurses the critical importance of knowledge combined with the ability to engage with people on a personal level to give optimum care.

No comments:

Post a Comment